Saturday, February 4, 2012

Decisions for the Year of the Dragon

On January 23, 2012, the date of the Chinese New Year, I began my diet.  Over the past 2 months, inactivity combined with eating well, eating junk, and drinking wine expanded my waistline, stomach and rear end.  I had finally taken my boot off the day before to weigh myself and UGH--I had gained over 5 lbs and 2% in body fat since Thanksgiving.  Even the jean skirt I wore almost every day began to tug at my waist.


January 1st, being only one month after my ankle surgery, came too early for me to get motivated for change.  I was really mad that my classes would begin on January 2nd, knowing that for the next 9 weeks I would be teaching nonstop.  Teaching online classes is a all or nothing proposition and--because my last set of classes ended on Dec. 4--I didn't get the break I needed.  I was still in quite a bit of pain, and sitting in the easy chair with my foot on two pillows and my laptop and one or two cats on my lap became a daily routine.

In increments, my pain decreased, and the time periods standing and walking increased.  On the day of the Chinese New Year I was ready to get my life in order.

# 1  Lose weight.  Beginning on the day of the Chinese New Year, I weighed myself, took my measurements, and began my diet.  I reduced my calories to about 1200 a day by cutting out chocolate chips, tortilla chips and most carbohydrates. I can't let go of the wine, though.  But at least I changed from white wine to red wine.

On tomorrow I will begin Week 3 of my diet.  So far I have lost approximately 3 lbs., and 1/2 inch from my waist, stomach and rear end.   I hope I will eventually get back to my normal weight, where will I fit into my clothes and have more energy.  Perhaps I will push past that goal to lose some of those 15 pounds I've been carrying since I had the kids.

# 2 Reduce my workload.  Beginning with my next class, I am going to teach one class at a time.  I have been teaching 2 classes at a time for about a year now.  As I said above, teaching online classes is all or nothing proposition.  I spend 7 days a week online which really bites chunks out of my creativity.  After grading 32+ assignments and rating 32+ student's class participation every week, I don't have any time or motivation to begin a writing project.  For example, I started this post 3 weeks ago and it took me this long to finish it!


#3  Heal myself physically.  I've just dipped my baby toe into that path.  Now that finally got out of the boot and into an ankle brace, I can drive, shop, do my own errands and get into the hot tub!  A regular stretching and exercise routine is on the horizon.  I've been doing range of motion exercises for my ankle and stretching my back and neck already.  But I'm going to add more yoga stretches,  vigorous household chores, and walking daily.

#4  Heal myself mentally.  I added up all the stresses I've gone through in the last year and it reaches into the severe stress category.  Two family deaths and a major injury top the list.  I haven't had a chance to process everything yet and need the time to do so.  Therefore, I'm going to take a long break before I start another class, and stop listening to and watching the news. I need to decompress, spend some time daydreaming, get something done around the house, relax, and do some creative writing.  Wish me luck on that last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment