Friday, December 30, 2011

10 lessons learned in 2011

This year has been a difficult one for my husband and I--two deaths (my brother and my mother-in-law), a broken ankle, and a sleep apnea diagnosis.  But I came away from these experiences with some valuable lessons that have hopefully made me a wiser person.

Lesson 1:  I can't change anyone but myself.  (My alcoholic brother's death came about because of his condition, which I had spent years trying to change.  However, I eliminated using a CPAP machine by wearing nose strips at night, doing throat exercises, and sleeping on my side).

Lesson 2:   Agree to disagree, especially when discussing hot topics such as politics and religion.  (Conversations go smoother).

Lesson 3:  It's OK to take the time to goof-off--it may lead somewhere completely unexpected (this blog).

Lesson 4:  Take better care of myself (wear hiking boots--not tennis shoes--when hiking, and use trekking poles).

Lesson 5:  Don't try to keep up with the kids (hurrying to catch up was part of the reason I broke my ankle).

Lesson 6:  Look at every day as a gift (yesterday a broken ankle, tomorrow ?).

Lesson 7:   Appreciate the small things (a cup of coffee in the morning, a glass of wine at dinnertime, warmth on cold days, my kitties on my lap).

Lesson 8:  Let things go (who cares if the dishwasher is not loaded perfectly? The dishes will still get clean enough).

Lesson 9:  Not everyone will like me (no matter how hard I try to be a "good" teacher, I still don't get all 10s on my class evaluations).

Lesson 10:  Be more patient and less demanding.  (The cats will sit on my lap on their own time and my husband will be a much more willing slave)!

2 comments:

  1. Here's one I try to live by that may have special resonance for you after your ankle adventures: try not to do anything that will leave a mark.

    ReplyDelete