Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mry broken Ankle


How I broke my ankle

When leaving the trail,
I hopped on rocks,
like a frog jumping
from lily pad to lily pad,
to circumvent
the Desert Crust.

A dull brown melding
of bacteria, moss and lichen,
Desert Crust forms
micro peaks and
micro chasms across
unbroken ground.

When left alone,
a splash of water
turns Desert Crust green.
It gradually grows into
inch-high windbreaks
that hold down the loose sand.

Hopping on a wobbly rock,
I rolled my ankle,
falling back
instead of forward
because I shouldn't crush
the Desert Crust.

After all,
busting the Desert Crust
takes years to mend
while my ankle should heal
In about three months.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
I broke my ankle the day after Thanksgiving.  A plate, 6 screws and 17 staples later, I feel like Jimmy Stewart in "Rear Window."

But instead of breaking my leg chasing after an action shot, I broke my ankle hiking.  (Walking out 5 miles with the help of my daughter, son-in-law and husband was something I would not like to repeat). 

Instead of being wheelchair bound, I sit in my easy chair with my foot elevated and a cat on my lap.  And instead of being a photographer, I am an online instructor who loves to write.

Inspiration for a story has not struck me yet--but I found a new goal.  Instead of spying on the neighbors, I am searching the internet for zoo animal photos to accompany a children's poem I wrote a while back.  I'm also spending time on the internet educating myself about crutches, fractures and bone healing.

Since November 25th, I have had nothing but time.  So I've been sitting in my easy chair--as you know already if you saw yesterday's post--and educating myself about crutches, fractures and bone healing.

At the emergency room, I received an ill-fitting boot (my heel would not go down) and crutches set at the wrong height.  So my first piece of advice is ask for a bigger boot.

My second piece of advice is make sure the grips on your crutches are at hip level and the pads are 1-2 inches below your armpit.  If your handles are at hip level, your arms are bent at a slight angle when you are using the crutches.  My crutches were not adjusted correctly and my arms were straight when I used them. Because of that, I ended up with left shoulder pain.

Also, having clearance for your armpits helps you avoid clothing getting caught up in the pads.  I don't think I have enough clearance there, so I probably should do some major adjustments from the bottom to the top.

But do I want to go through all that effort?  Tomorrow is my doctor appointment--I will get the 17 staples out and perhaps be able to start walking and thereby lessen my dependence on these &%$# crutches!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment